Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wearables project: First cad model


I began this model by drawing a flattened form based on my paper template.  I drew this in Assembly mode in Solidworks, each folded segment a separate part then mated together.  This would allow me to "fold" the virtual model much like paper.



To get an idea, here's what the model would look like once I begin folding it.




I can also refer to the physical paper model while I position the virtual one.


From the virtual paper model, I extract a coherent surface.



And add fillets to the folds to begin smoothing the form.




I create an offset surface from the first one to add thickness to the model.  This is an offset of 1/10th of an inch.



And a lofted surface operation closes the form.  I can now add details and begin to integrate other components.



But before I get into that, I'll be doing test prints so I can test the fit, look and feel of this form.  Here's the model loaded into the Up! printer software.  The print will take about 7 hours.



For fun, here's a mock-up of what this gadget may some day look like.


No comments:

Post a Comment